The objective of the team development process is to accelerate the ability of teams to work more effectively and achieve new levels of success. The process focuses on having team members:
- Engage each other more openly so as to improve the level of candid communication between members and raise their commitment to team behaviors and goals.
- Create a team culture and drive higher levels of individual accountability towards operating as a high-performing unit.
- Develop a “we” vs. “I” approach on the part of team members in addressing issues and challenges.
- Better develop big picture thinking/priorities rather than only focusing on meeting individual goals.
- Operate as a highly engaged team to achieve a solution to a real business problem or issue(s).
Team Development Process:
- Define Business Problem and Goals for the Process
Meet with the key sponsors to outline the goals for the process.
- Interview Team Members
Team members participating in the process will be interviewed to assess their perception of the present state of how the team is operating. These interviews can be conducted one-on-one and through focus groups.
- Team Report
Results of the interviews are summarized in a report which will be utilized at the first off-site meeting. This information will allow team members to assess their current state of team development. It will also be used as a basis to move the team discussions forward in addressing the defined business issue(s) and any challenges that might prevent the team from achieving its objective of being a more effective team.
- Preparatory Discussion with the Team Leader
Meeting with the team leader to preview the information uncovered during the interview process. This will generate further discussion on customizing and structuring the initial off-site meeting.
- Off-Site Meeting
The team will address the issues uncovered during the interviews. This results in team member commitments and further clarity regarding mission, roles and responsibilities, decision-making, conflict resolution, etc. In order to raise the level of effective team behaviors, both individual and team commitments have to be established.
- After Session Review with the Team Leader
Meeting with the team leader to assess the results of the off-site session and discuss any next steps required to insure continued progress including additional review sessions, individual/team coaching and team observation, etc.